Adams House in Deep River
The Adams house is the only building remaining from the so-called "Indian Village" that predated the Town of Deep River.
The Adams house as it currently exists. Its original scooped log roof has been replaced by a metal one, but otherwise it is much as it used to be.
When the town of Deep River was established as a residential community for the scientists and workers of the Chalk River Nuclear Laboratories, lots 1 through 6 of Range B, Township of Rolph, were expropriated by the government in 1944. At that time, lot 5 was still Crown Land and contained several log dwellings along the shore of the Ottawa River, comprising the so-called "Indian Village". The occupants of these dwellings relocated to the Wylie Road. Most of these buildings were demolished; only the Adams house remains.
One of the original log dwellings circa 1950.
One of the original log dwellings, essnetially identical in design to the Adams House, was located near what is now the eastern-most driveway leading into Mackenzie High School and the Long Term Care Facility.
The same location in 2005
The above photo is approximately the same view in 2005. While the details of the road and the trees have changed, two landmarks can be unambiguously identified: the house visible above the roof of the former Cockcroft School and the near (western) end of the Community Centre. Note that while both Cockcroft School and the Community Center have changed form over the years, the western end of the Community Center is unchanged. (The western end of the Community Center is slightly obscured by a tree in the 1950 photo.)
The Adams House is located on the grounds of the Deep River Yacht and Tennis Club
The Adams house is located on the grounds of the Deep River Yacht and Tennis Club. It is currently used for storage.
Joan Melvin relates in her book, Deep River • 1945 - 1995 • A Pictorial History (jomel publications, Deep River, 1995), that this dwelling was built in 1931 by Dave Adams, a native Algonquin who earned his living as a guide. He and his wife Mary (née Dole) were married in St. Alexander's Church and had ten children here.
The plaque on the building reads:
Built in 1928 by David Adams-Lukus for his bride Mary Dole.
Their children were George, Beatrice, Bernice, Virginia, Jimmy, Henry, Bob, Teresa, Tom and Mary. Five were born in the cabin and all except Tom and Mary lived there. In later years some chose the surname Adams while others used the surname Lucas.
In 1944 the cabin and surrounding land were expropriated by His Majesty The King in right of Canada for the Chalk River Project. In 1945 the family moved to the Wylie Road area. Their names continue to be part of the heritage of the community.
Subsequent to the first appearance of this page, Virginia Hunt has published a series of articles in The North Renfrew Times, entitled River of Time in which she describes her childhood growing up in this house.