An Early Spring Drive into Lake Travers in Algonquin Park
2018 March 26
On Monday March 26, Bob and Diana drove into Lake Travers in Algonquin Park. It was a beautiful day and we had the park to ourselves; we didn't see a soul from when we left Hwy. 17 until well after we had left the park on the way home. Everything is still pretty much frozen but with a little bare ground in sunny spots. The road was in remarkably good condition, but it's still largely frozen. When we left home we didn't really have an agenda because we didn't know the condition of the road. But the driving was good and we went all the way to Lake Travers. None of the public side roads -- into McManus Lake or into Achray -- were drivable.
Mark is a great guy, very knowledgeable about canoe tripping and winter camping. To get an idea of his extensive experience in the Park, check out some of his trip logs: markinthepark / seeking solitude / trip logs. We are confident that he will provide a quality service.
The first inventory of the Petawawa Forest Experiment Station began in the spring of 1917 and the first research project was initiated in 1918. A new video (~4 min.) overview of the forest has just been released. See Petawawa Research Forest - Celebrating 100 Years.
For a history of the Petawawa Research Forest, see I.C.M. Place (2002), 75 Years of Research in the Woods, A History of Petawawa Forest Experiment Station and Petawawa National Forestry Institute, General Store Publishing House.
What's New is being replaced by News. While What's New will continue to exist -- at least for a while -- links to it will eventually disappear. News is still under active development and thus its behaviour may be a little quirky at times.
New Map Added to the Archive of Historic Algonquin Maps
2018 February 13
Another map has been added to the archive of historic maps - a 1941 version of the Arthur Brown map. This was sent to us by John Stewart who was given it by Glenn Buckmaster, a longtime Algonquin Outfitter employee. The original map has been donated to the Algonquin Park Museum. Many thanks to John for this contribution.
Also, the Algonquin Park 1958 Fishing Guide was missing from our original set of historic maps. It has now been restored to the archive.